Décor Dictionary: Finial

{click to enlarge}

A finial is a decorative element marking the top or end of some object. This crowning fixture can often be seen on top of a piece of furniture, such as the end of a bed post or curtain rod. In architecture, a finial is the ornamental termination of a roof pinnacle or gable.

[Image Sources: 1, 2, 3]

You might also like:


Décor Dictionary: Window Treatment

Window Treatment:   To “dress” or “cover” a window opening.  It is interchangeable with the term “Window Coverings”  (only difference is that it sounds posh and professional). Window coverings can be custom designed to specific measurements and styles.  It can be either functional or decorative, or both. Window coverings / treatments includes blinds, curtains, shutters, drapes, fabrics, hardware and tiebacks applied to the window opening and adjoining wall space.

Image via Anthropologie 

Décor Dictionary: Graphic Art

Since graphic prints in all forms, shapes and colours are currently so hot, hot, HOT we asked talented local graphic designer Bianca from The Tailored Life to hammer down a definition for us:

Graphic Art: is a broad term encompassing mainly two dimensional artwork created on a computer. Graphic artists or designers typically use design software to create this graphic art. Graphic artworks regularly feature abstract shapes, typography and illustrations manipulated by the artist. The artwork is generally reproduced through litho, digital or screen printing onto textiles like paper, fabric and vinyl. Because graphic art is easily reproduced it is more affordable and therefore accessible to new art collectors.

The “Keep Calm and Carry On” print is an example of a popular graphic artwork. While the original posters were created by the British government in 1939, the famous quote and poster has recently been reproduced by graphic artists in a plethora of variations and spin-offs.

Be sure to check out Bianca’s inspiring blog (it’s one of our favourites): The Tailored Life.

Image via