Decorating Dictionary: Jacobean Fabric
Posted by The Design Tabloid
What is the definition of a Jacobean Fabric Pattern or Jacobean Floral?
Have you ever heard someone mention the term Jacobean Fabric or Jacobean Floral and wondered what on earth it meant? Well, now you have to wonder no longer – we will define Jacobean Fabric Pattern for you! Here is the latest addition to our Decorating Dictionary…
Jacobean Fabric Pattern: refers to English floral textile design prevalent during the reign of James 1 in the early 17th century and is often associated with crewel embroidery. The pattern, which features strong Eastern (Indian) influences, was inspired by the ancient “Tree of Life” motif. This fabric pattern frequently features winding branches, fruit, birds, and large, highly-detailed, exotic flowers and leaves in rich colours. It is these stylised flowers that give Jacobean fabric its whimsical almost fantasy-like appeal.
P.S. If you want to learn more about the history of Jacobean textile design, here is an interesting student research paper on the subject: “Jacobean Textile Design: Surviving (and Thriving) Through the Test of Time”
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About The Design TabloidThe Design Tabloid brings you the latest gossip concerning South African design talent. It’s our aim to showcase local interior design, architecture, furniture, décor, & related suppliers and feature the gifted designers behind them. Also, providing a platform to young emerging designers and added exposure to unknown established companies. We strive to be an interactive online source of design innovation, information, and inspiration. The Design Tabloid is brought to you by Design Monarchy; a Cape Town based Interior Design & Decor Company under the expert guidance of Rose McClement, an interior decorator/stylist with more years of industry experience than she cares to mention. We hope our passion for design inspires you. We are Proudly South African, celebrate with us!
Posted on July 13, 2017, in Decorating Dictionary and tagged Décor Terms, Decorating Dictionary, define, definition, Glossary, jacobean fabric, jacobean floral, jacobean pattern, jacobean textile, meaning, Pattern. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.