Attending the MILAN FURNITURE FAIR is every interior professional’s dream come true. The Crème De La Crème of European Fairs. For some local SA Designers and Trend Forecasters this is simply an annual occurrence. By my assumption, that would probably account for about 5 – max 10% of local designers. For the rest of the 90% of the profession, it is one of those must do in this lifetime events. Marica and I being in that latter number. BUT – I have decided: I am putting a trip for two on the bucket list for the two of us (vision board stuff).
In the meantime, let’s take a look at how the “other half live’. This is more of an ‘Aspirational’ post than anything else. Something like reading through the “Vogue” magazine would be considered aspirational.
If you thought that Design Indaba was where the hoards of people go, then think again. The video will reveal the reason for this Furniture Fair’s popularity. The quality and standard is just amazing. Watching this video, seeing all the incredible designs, textures, the shapes, the finishes which are a feast for the eyes, just had my blood tingling!! ENJOY.
“Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.”
Jon Acuff said comparison is poison.
Something to remember and take to heart the next time you feel disheartened and frustrated about you current circumstances.
So often we look at another’s success and can’t help but compare our walk to theirs. The truth, as Matt Cheuvront ofLife Without Pants points out, is…
“Wherever you are in life with whatever you’re doing – you’re going to be ahead of some and behind others. That’s okay. Own where you are. Take time to embrace and celebrate that. Continue moving forward.
And never compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.”
Linen Press:(or just “press”) is a large hardwood cupboard or cabinet designed for storing household linens such as sheets and blankets, tablecloths and napkins, towels, clothing, and related textiles. Traditionally, a linen press consists of a two-door upper cabinet with pull-out shelves over a chest of four deep drawers below.
One of the vloggers I regularly follow starts off a video blog by greeting her audience with this salutation: “Hello all you Shiny Puppies”. I’m thinking – maybe I should also come up with an opening catchphrase for my blog posts. Any suggestions?
I kicked off the year attending a network meeting of note. One of my fellow networkers, Melanie – such a cool gal – was looking at the Home Magazine article of January 2016, in which one of our interior design & decorating projects was featured (this has now become my brag book). Melanie is a Real Estate Consultant and a comment she made is what motivated me to write this article.
Many homes lack “heart”…
She said that what she loved about the interiors of the featured house was the fact that one could see it was full of “heart”. She went on to tell me that since she deals with many upmarket houses, she has seen many interiors. What strikes her is the fact that most of the houses have all the interior finishes you can want for, but no heart. Nothing that particularly warms the cockles of one’s heart. Nothing that stands out as being unique to the occupants of the home. By “interior finishes” she meant that the house has the granite kitchen top, the right tiles, the fairly updated kitchen, good furniture etc, but that is where it ends it seems. Pretty much what fellow blogger, Lelanie Slater, once coined as being a “showroom type interior”.
I so get what she is saying. I too have seen so many houses like that. It remains a house that people occupy but not a home. The interior décor lends no expression – no heart or warmth. Nor does it reflect the personality of the folk who live there. Such a great pity, because that is not what a home is meant to be. We at the Design Monarchy, fulfil the desire of our own hearts, by helping our clients find expression of who they are in their home, in a heartfelt way. We do this by way of their interior decorations! It is actually a very powerful process and loads of fun.
Does your personality find expression in your home?
I often wonder why it is that so many people are unable to connect with their home as a heart space. Why it is that this disconnect even exists? It’s almost unthinkable for me in my world. But it is there and I feel I would like to explore this in a few blog posts to come. Why the superficial interior space? I am going to rope Marica in to share her views as well.
Maybe some feedback from our readers can help me here. Are you able to suggest why so many folk have a heart disconnect to their home interior space? Is it money? Is it fear of finding expression? Can you help me here?