Décor Dictionary: Selvedge

{click to enlarge}

Selvedge: or “selvage” (US English) is a narrow border or self-finished edge on either side of a woven fabric. This prevents the fabric from unravelling or fraying. The term is a corruption of “self-edge”. The selvedge often contains the manufacturer’s mark, designer name, and other relevant information like pattern repeat and colour scheme. Fabric near the selvage is frequently discarded as it may have a different weave pattern or thickness.

[Image Sources: 1, 2, 3]

You might also like:

Décor Dictionary: Toile de Jouy  Décor Dictionary: Wingback Chair  Décor Dictionary: Faux


About The Design Tabloid

The Design Tabloid brings you the latest gossip concerning South African design talent. It’s our aim to showcase local interior design, architecture, furniture, décor, & related suppliers and feature the gifted designers behind them. Also, providing a platform to young emerging designers and added exposure to unknown established companies. We strive to be an interactive online source of design innovation, information, and inspiration. The Design Tabloid is brought to you by Design Monarchy; a Cape Town based Interior Design & Decor Company under the expert guidance of Rose McClement, an interior decorator/stylist with more years of industry experience than she cares to mention. We hope our passion for design inspires you. We are Proudly South African, celebrate with us!

Posted on April 9, 2015, in Decor, Decorating Dictionary, Fabrics and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.

  1. The ‘selvedge’ also serves 2 additional purposes;

    It is often/can be used as a place to overlock the edge of the fabric to help prevent “grinning” in a fabric that is prone to “grinning” or seam slippage when 2 pieces of the fabric are joined together.

    Also, one often sees rows of small holes along the selvedge, these holes are made by the stenter hooks that are used to re-stretch the fabric back to it’s original shape after a form of treatment has been applied to the fabric such a piece dying or mercerizing.

    And some trivia for you: We often use the saying “On tender hooks”. The origin of the saying comes from the fabric industry and the correct saying is “On stenter hooks” 🙂

  2. When supplying fabric to have a design screen printed, a selvedge is required. This prevents the fabric curling in on the edges. If the fabric curls in or is not flat it can cause misprints as the screen and squeegee applicator will need a flat surface to run on.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: