Decorex Cape Town to rolling around again – can you believe this décor & design expo is fourteen years old this year. The main theme of Decorex 2012 – “Real” as in “getting real”.
Cairey Baxter-Bruce, General Manager of Decorex SA, explains that the positive energy sparked by original thinking contributes to unique – and very real – show experiences. “In the era of the mass-produced, the digital and the virtual, real experiences are treasured,” says Baxter-Bruce. “The real thing is what we covet right now, explaining the return of old-school styles, craftsmanship and artisanal creation.”
Some things to look forward too:
1. Like every year a handful of local designers get the opportunity to interpret the new Plascon Colour Forecast in their own individual way. This year, the trend installation will be headed by designers Laurence Brick, Porky Hefer, James Mudge and Aidan Bennetts. Experience their interpretation of the colour palettes ‘Expression’, ‘Memory’, ‘Origins’ and ‘Mystery’.
2. South Africa’s darling fabric designing duo, Design Team, will unveil their 2012 collection at Decorex. Can’t wait for that!
3. Operation Man Cave for charity. Four local celebrities team up with four designers to see who can create the coolest man-hideout and raise the most money for charity. Keep an eye out for Bob Skinstad and his brother Dan, Aidan Bennetts and Ryan Botha.
4. Inspire Theatre, kitted out by Whirpool and Sembel-It, will host inspirational décor talks throughout the show, so pull up a chair for talks on Sunday Lunch, Living with Colour, High Tea and Sunday Night Sundowners.
5. Contemporary Country promises to be a jaw dropping trend installation of rural goes city with the powerhouse team of Laurence Brick, Timna Russell and Cathy O’ Clery.
6. Decorex Designer Collection of homeware in a soothing palette of greys and blues, by SA’s top creative and boasts show specials at the pop-up store! So pull in to stock up the gift drawer for 2012.
7. M-net Cares Café will be putting creative bookshelves on show and encouraging visitors to donate children’s’ book. M-net personalities will be doing lives reads, so get your celebrity on.
8. District Delicious is a foodie paradise, with gourmet food and designer gadgets.
9. Design inspiration in the Dream Rooms section where roomscapes by top talent will be on show.
10. After a great walk around, with inspiration to take home and a new home gadget or two, enjoy a lovely glass of bubbly from the Graham Beck bar by Wetherlys. Oysters, a tapas menu and a delightful range of Graham Beck wine will be on the menu.
Be on the look-out for Vicki Sleet of I Want That and Kim Gray as they will be judging the stands this year! Super cool! These generous ladies are also giving away some Decorex tickets, so you might want to pop over to their respective blogs and enter to stand a chance to win free entrance to the show.
Decorex Cape Town:
26 – 29 April, CTICC
Hours: 10:00 – 19:00 (closes at 18:00 on 29th April)
Cost: R65 adults. R55 pensioners and students. R10 Children under 12.Visit www.decorex.co.za for regular updates on exciting competitions and speaker line-ups. Facebook: Decorex SA Twitter: @decorexSA and stay in touch using #decorexcapetown Images & Info via Decorex
- Plascon Colour Forecast 2012: Purple Lighting (plascontrends.wordpress.com)
- A reflection on 2011… (thedesigntabloid.com)
- Design Indaba 2012 Is Here! (thedesigntabloid.com)