Décor Dictionary: Graphic Art
Posted by The Design Tabloid
Since graphic prints in all forms, shapes and colours are currently so hot, hot, HOT we asked talented local graphic designer Bianca from The Tailored Life to hammer down a definition for us:
Graphic Art: is a broad term encompassing mainly two dimensional artwork created on a computer. Graphic artists or designers typically use design software to create this graphic art. Graphic artworks regularly feature abstract shapes, typography and illustrations manipulated by the artist. The artwork is generally reproduced through litho, digital or screen printing onto textiles like paper, fabric and vinyl. Because graphic art is easily reproduced it is more affordable and therefore accessible to new art collectors.
The “Keep Calm and Carry On” print is an example of a popular graphic artwork. While the original posters were created by the British government in 1939, the famous quote and poster has recently been reproduced by graphic artists in a plethora of variations and spin-offs.
Be sure to check out Bianca’s inspiring blog (it’s one of our favourites): The Tailored Life.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About The Design TabloidThe Design Tabloid brings you the latest gossip concerning South African design talent. It’s our aim to showcase local interior design, architecture, furniture, décor, & related suppliers and feature the gifted designers behind them. Also, providing a platform to young emerging designers and added exposure to unknown established companies. We strive to be an interactive online source of design innovation, information, and inspiration. The Design Tabloid is brought to you by Design Monarchy; a Cape Town based Interior Design & Decor Company under the expert guidance of Rose McClement, an interior decorator/stylist with more years of industry experience than she cares to mention. We hope our passion for design inspires you. We are Proudly South African, celebrate with us!
Posted on October 13, 2011, in Decorating Dictionary and tagged Art, Décor Terms, Decor Glossary, Decorating Dictionary, Graphic Art, Graphic design, Keep Calm and Carry On, Poster. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.