Décor Dictionary: Prêt-à-porter & Bespoke
Posted by The Design Tabloid
After our feature on Box Living and their prêt-à-porter collection, Snap, I thought it a good opportunity to explain this specific term and also its décor counterpart, “bespoke”…
Prêt-à-porter: is actually a term often used in the fashion design and retail industry meaning “ready-to-wear” or “off-the-rack”. When using this term in relation to décor, usually furniture, it indicates that the particular collection or item is not a custom-made item (i.e. something that is going to take 6 weeks to manufacture) but a ready-made, off the floor item that can be purchased straight away.
Bespoke: is the British word for “custom” – it is also a term you will often hear in relation to furniture. This means to order a furniture piece individual and specific to your requirements and taste. Custom-made furniture usually takes a handful of weeks to manufacture.
Boardmans image via Elle Decoration.
Moorgas & Sons image via their website.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About The Design TabloidThe Design Tabloid brings you the latest gossip concerning South African design talent. It’s our aim to showcase local interior design, architecture, furniture, décor, & related suppliers and feature the gifted designers behind them. Also, providing a platform to young emerging designers and added exposure to unknown established companies. We strive to be an interactive online source of design innovation, information, and inspiration. The Design Tabloid is brought to you by Design Monarchy; a Cape Town based Interior Design & Decor Company under the expert guidance of Rose McClement, an interior decorator/stylist with more years of industry experience than she cares to mention. We hope our passion for design inspires you. We are Proudly South African, celebrate with us!
Posted on September 5, 2011, in Decorating Dictionary and tagged Bespoke, Custom-made, Décor Terms, Decor, Decorating Dictionary, Furniture, Interior Design, Prêt-à-porter, Ready-to-wear. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.