Thistle Cottage – Up-cycled Treasure Trove
Posted by Rose McClement
Many years ago a very good friend of mine, Margot Ammerman, took the bold step of buying a quaint cottage along Belvedere Road to convert into a shop for her abundance of furniture and objects d’art – a right treasure trove.
Today we classify her style of shop as nostalgic, vintage with up-cycled furniture. It seems as if Margot was really ahead of her time OR she has been found doing the right thing at the right time – up grading furniture and accessories from the past to that place of being something trendy we just need to have.
She trawls the auctions and other hidden places gathering her wares. Then takes them to her workshop at the back of Thistle Cottage, where she applies her magic in paint techniques to transform the each piece of furniture to something shabby chic (poor husband has also been found with paint dripping from his hair as well). In fact, Thistle Cottage has many services to offer, including upgrading your ole stuff.
There are plenty of décor accessories to be had as well for any room in the house. When I go to Thistle Cottage, I have to give myself plenty of time there, just to be able to take in everything. I am one of those people who get great pleasure from just shopping with my eyes.
So, when you are next going along Belvedere Road look out for the quaint cottage, painted dark grey, with swing plate announcing Thistle Cottage. One of the latest members of staff there is little Ruby Grace – Margot’s totally charming and beautiful baby girl.80 Belvedere Road Claremont Cape Town Tel: 021 683 0060
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About Rose McClementBiz owner / entrepreneur in Interior Décor / Design / consultant / mag column writer / avid blogger bringing the skinny on design as Proudly South African.
Posted on June 15, 2011, in Decor, Furniture, Interior Design, Stores, Suppliers and tagged Antiques, Cape Town, Collectables, Cottage Furniture, Decor, Decorating, Design, Furniture, Interior Design, Margot Ammerman, Reclaimed Furniture, Shabby Chic, South Africa, Thistle Cottage, Up-cycled, Vintage. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.